Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Forgotten Zamami Island







Forgotten because of the fact that I didn't include it with the other Okinawa pictures. It's a shame too because it was really so fun and I snorkeled which is something I didn't think I would do because of my fear of the ocean. I can swim around the shallow area, but if I see fish and algae and coral, no way!

On this small island though, two hours from Naha, Ron and I really got to enjoy doing absolutely nothing. I realized that although the purpose of this trip was to relax, going from city to city, taking buses for hours, hitch hiking, and trying to make an adventure everyday, a small island of 500 was just what was needed. Ron and I were able to eat at all 5 restaurants and we made several loops walking around the village. The turquoise water was amazing and going underwater was a completely mind bending experience. It was one thing to see these things through glass, but to be swimming with them was incredible. We saw lion fish, squid, and larger fish about a foot long. I would never try to touch them, but my inner challenge was won when I put on the fins and dove into the sea. Holding Ron's hand while swimming also calmed me down.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool! You need an underwater camera. Congrats on conquering a fear. Next it's swarms of birds.

The Unconventional Life said...

nope...not gonna happen!