Monday, May 26, 2008

One Hour of the Worst Luck

I am now on a mission that many foreigners dread... the Japanese Driver's License.

After my interview last week, I was quite happy. My interviewer was not a scary cop like Ron had and I explained all of my sentences in semi-perfect Japanese. The only part that stunk was that the Practice course that Ron used when he took his test was closed. But, the interviewer told me that if I came on Saturday, four days before my test, I can use the course to practice. Since Ron had taken the test I figured that that was even better than the course, with ¥5000 in my pocket. Now, we had promised a friend to visit her town for the weekend, but decided that leaving Saturday morning instead of Friday night would be better as far as my chances for passing the course.

Now, the poop part.

So bright and early Saturday morning, Ron and I drive the 30 minutes to the test site. Once we get there, I see my interviewer and request to practice on the course. He then tells me that I have to buy a ticket from the school shop to practice. No problem, it's right behind me!... It's closed.

Now, you would think that if the people work in the same building and all I needed was a piece of paper that they print out in this little kiosk, my interviewer would just take the spare keys, walk the 20 meters, open the door, turn on the register, and print me a ticket so that I can be happy Juni. NOPE! He tells me that since it is closed I have to go to a Convenience Store 30 minutes away (10 minutes from my house) and get the ticket there. After internally screaming my head off, Ron and I admit beauracratic defeat and turn around to get the ticket. When we finally get there, the convenience store that is suppose to be open for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, is also closed. CRAP... Not very convenient.

I immediately called the guy and explained the situation. He seemed very empathetic, and suggested that I take the test the following week and use the next weekend to practice. I asked to pay cash for the course, but in good Japanese beauracratic form, I have to have that stupid !@$&# seal. Ron and I decided to give our sanity a break and just try for this week. Thankfully, we had two hours of driving to my friends house to detox that awful experience.

So now, Monday. I am freaking out for the test. At least if I practiced I'd know what to look for and where to be ready, but now all I have are Ron's memories, but still, I can't drive in his head and see how I do. I took off a whole day of work for this Wednesday and if I fail the test, I will have to take off another day because they don't test on the weekend. Luckily, to leave on a good note, we should be getting our car on Wednesday too. So I will eaither fail the test and have a car to soothe my wounded heart, or I will pass with flying colors and Ron will reward my efforts with a brand new (used) car. I will later report on my results.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You'll do fine! Remember, you're still an LA driver at heart. Good Luck Chick-a-dee! I believe in you!


ps. I'm finally all caught up!