Friday, May 23, 2008

New JET Problems

In the JET Program there are two types of Assistant Language Teachers (ALTs). First is a Prefectural JET like myself, who is hired through a school (Ichi-ko). Then there are Municipal JETs who are hired through a city's Board of Education and goes to many schools. In the group of 40 JETs that came to Iwate last year, about 15 were Municipal JETs. Now, it is official that the Educational Board of Iwate will not be accepting anymore new Prefectural JETs. Their budgets are really tight and they figure that the best way to cut costs is to not have foreign teachers. This is OK for my situation. I can stay for my three years, but I am the last (whew!) This is a real shock to the JET program. Morioka alone has 4 JETs that are leaving out of 7. No JET will take their place. Schools will now have to hire independent foreigners and since it will be a pain and added expenses, I'm sure that many school will not be hiring an ALT. While I'm glad and thankful that I will be able to stay and have the JET experience, it is quite a bummer to know that only a handfull of new JETs will be coming in the summer, and even sadder to know that I will probably be the last JET in Iwate.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow what luck,count your lucky stars!!!! I'm glad you're in...