Friday, March 20, 2009

Enjoying Okinawa

Nago City and the Ocean Expo Park

Nago brought us a lot of adventure and firsts. After arriving and searching for our guest house for an hour, we finally found a series of shacks that barely looked like they were holding themselves up. The walls were peeling, everything felt "beachy" and it just looked worn down. However unsure we (I) felt about it, it was indeed our place. However, after going to the Orion brewery and sitting in the hammock watching the beach only ten steps away while talking with like-minded guests, we changed our one night stay to two. Great choice!






The next day, Ron went scuba diving for the first time. He said that he touched fish and coral and went down nearly 8 meters. I stayed on the boat because of my fear of the underwater world. I just felt like if I did scuba, the fish would scare me enough to panic, burst my eardrum, and die. Afterward, we wanted to go to the nearby ocean park that had Japan's biggest aquarium (apparently, it's not in Osaka) so as our mode of transportation, we hitchiked. I would never try it anywhere else but Japan. However, five minutes of shaking our sign and we were saved by a cute couple from Kobe who took us to the park. After enjoying the aquarium, dolphins, beach, and whale sharks, we were debating how to get back, since lightning may not strike twice. We started to walk with our sign and I was cranky so we stopped at a small Taco rice shop. While we were eating, a random lady saw our sign and asked if we could drive her car to Nago since she just drank some medicine. We gladly accepted her offer and along with a free ride to our destination, she also gave us fresh passionfruit. We came back to our guest house to a huge BBQ party. We drank the local liquor and enjoyed beach roasted chicken and homemade pizza. I like Okinawa.










1 comment:

Kunino said...

OH NOOOOOO! You guys have seen too much of Japan. After China, you have to come back and show me around in Japan. lol
I'm always impressed by you guys' determination to see EVERYTHING here. And you actually did it!! That's so cool. I say you're ready to go to the next country now! I will miss you guys so much though!

Can't wait to meet you tomorrow:)