Monday, October 13, 2008

We climbed Mount Iwate!


My legs are so sore. So much in fact that it takes me 10 seconds to get up from the floor and another 10 seconds to return back down. Yesterday, Ron and I came back from the largest mountain in Iwate (hence, Mount Iwate). It is about 2,500 meters high. On Saturday we hiked uphill for three hours. About 2, 000 feet. We slept over with 30 other foreigners in a small hut. The following morning after no one could sleep because of the blustering wind, we awoke at four in the morning to climb an hour and a half more to the top. It was very cold and we couldn't see the sun rise, but just knowing I was at the top was enough for me. Then the rest was "easy". Just five more hours descending and ascending three mountains until we got to the other side. The grand prize of it all was a hot onsen waiting to relieve out tired tootsies. I was very proud making such a trip. I was even in the "fast" group. Although I can safely say that I will not do that again. I'm glad that I did it at least once. Ron... I'm sure could do it again and again. I am not that strong.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so proud that you made it to the top with your aching body but determined mind!!!!!!Yeah for Atch!!!
mom