Monday, August 6, 2007

Our first weekend

Well, I was hoping that I would be able to post some pictures on the school computer, but everything is so FREAKIN hard in Japanese, so until I bring my computer to school or we get house internet, this is the game we play. But I was so excited to tell everyone of our great weekend that I just thought of writing it. THe pictures will come soon.

Saturday
 I dont know who is praying for us or what positive thoughts you are sending our way, but please keep them coming. My very first day of being in Morioka I decided to hang out with the JET group at a bar despite my near death sleepyness. But lucky upon lucky, I met the second year Morioka JETs. They were more than nice and giving me great tips and advice. One of them (Ellie) invited Ron and me to a festival in Aomori called the Nebuta Festival. This one is like the third biggest festival in all Japan. There are massive amounts of people pushing these gigantic floats down the street. Each float has an intricate design of samurai and demons. THere is also a dance that they all do that we call the `hopping` dance. Literally they hop. So with watching all these great floats and eating all the festival food we can imagine, we returned home. I felt so lucky that we were able to meet up with these people who so willingly took us out. Oh by the way... I also had my first onsen (hot spring) experience. Taking a bath with a lot of old naked ladies is somewhat relaxing.

Sunday
We had nothing particular to do this day so Ron and I decided to take a sanpo (stroll). We walked an hour and a half from our house to Downtown Morioka and another two hours to walk back. We were so beat by the time we came back, but we really felt that we got a good feel of the area because of the walk. Then we invited our Supervisor to dinner where I made mabo tofu. It was so scary to give my food to a new person. Luckily he found it edible.

Just having these few days, it already seems so comfortable in Morioka. We are still trying to set up house and find all the secrets, but I think that once everyone starts visiting, we should have things under control. Happy reading.

3 comments:

CJ said...

Loving the blogging Juni! It's like a tv show ^__^.

"Ron and Juni's life in Japan!~"

"What new things will they encounter next episode? Stay tuned after these messages."

Good stuff. I can't wait for pictures, and also hopefully you guys get some video footage of you both in your House and upload it on youtube ^__^.

Unknown said...

Who needs to travel. I can live a twenty-something's life through you and ron. I can live through near death sleepiness, which i could never do without really being cranky. Thank you Juni and Ron!

peggily said...

That "rob said" is actually from me.