Monday, July 6, 2009

I am the most popular ALT!

On a drowsy feeling Saturday, I went shopping with a friend and our plan was to meet a bunch of other ALTs for a 4th of July BBQ and fireworks. We made it to the park and the day seemed to get more and more tiring and awkward since there was no food or fireworks, something we were promised. Eventually, we started playing frisbee. I was in the middle of a horrible frisbee toss when I hear a group of people scream "JUNI!!!". I turned around and it was one of my Ichiko classes. 40 students coming right at me. It seems that they were all together to celebrate their victory in the Sports Festival and came to the park to light fireworks. This was luckily one of my favorite classes. Any other class would have been much more quiet and awkward. It started to downpour on everyone so the big group of drinking foreigners were mixed in with my students. I got to have so much fun talking with my students and so many of them were saying how much they would miss me and how they don't want me to leave. I felt so lucky with a little too much pride as the other ALTs saw how my students gush over me and how freakin' brilliant they are with their English. Even after the rain stopped, the kids stuck around to light their fireworks so I know that they weren't haging out because they were stuck. I was light on my feet the entire evening knowing that I would be missed in my school.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes you will indeed be missed and your legacy was shown to you before you even left!!! Great Job Juni...We are so proud of you!
mom