Friday, June 5, 2009

English Club Cooking

So after feeling huge guilt for not being an active part of English Club last year, I decided to go full force this year. Last year, they never really asked me to set anything up for them and I didn't want to intrude if they had study time. But I did make an awesome Halloween party and nade it to their end-of-the-year banquet, so I got some points there. This year, I get one day a week to do conversation practice with them. The past couple of times have been fun as we tried to get some short conversation out of this ridiculously shy group of girls.

The most fun though, has been the two cooking classes we had, the most recent being yesterday. Last month we made "American style" pancakes, which just meant making pancakes but with chocolate chips, sprinkles, and nuts in them. These girls love sweet food and gobbled it up. Then yesterday I decided to make Tacos, something these students will hardly get a chance to eat. So, I went to our local foreign food market and got a really expensive taco making set. Expensive because of the fact that imported prices are crazy up here. But they got to eat avocado flavored chips for a snack and each of them had a taco-making job and at the end, we made an assembly line of taco making. I could see the happiness in their faces. They were quite shocked with the meat oil dripping from the taco and freaked out when it got all over their hands. I just told them that "eating tacos is very messy." It was also really funny to see them contemplate how to eat the tacos since there isn't much Japanese food that required the tilting of the head. I had a great time. I gave them the recipe in English and sent them off as I heard "oishii katta" and "onaka ga ippai" exit through the doors.

No comments: