Sunday, March 15, 2009

Finishing Japan Day 3

Nagasaki

Nagasaki was a day for eating. There was so much incredible yummy things. Ron and I ate Champon, Sara-Udon, Castella Pound Cake, Turk rice (I want to say it's something from Turkey, but I dunno) and Pork Sandwiches in Chinatown. We used our pedometer that day and managed to walk our 10,000 steps to keep us in top eating form. We also saw the Peace Park filled with beautiful statues. At night we enjoyed ourselves by drinking wine through the streets and listening to street performers entertain the night folk. For the food lover, we recommend Nagasaki.











Beppu

We managed to endure the three hour+ bus ride to the other side of the island. Luckily we had the movie King Kong to entertain us...in Japanese. When we arrrived at Beppu, the rolling green hills, and natural steam coming from the ground looked a little bit like from a movie in itself. There's no well known food in Beppu so Ron and I ate on the cheap. But we did manage a side trip that took us to the biggest tourist trap I had ever seen. We took a 30 minute bus ride to the "Blood Pool Hell" that is suppose to be a deep red gurgling pond of the hottest onsen water. When we got to the location, paid our 800 yen, and meander through the big gift store, we made it to a pond of water with red clay on the bottom, giving the illusion of red water. The funny part is, this is one of 8 hells in Beppu, each with their own unique character, but I'm betting my 800 yen, about the same amount of disappointment. Adding to my belief that Japan puts too much effort in their tourism industry. It was fun and Ron and I enjoyed our adventure.



No comments: