Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Japanese Fantasy

Since Ron and I had been to Kyoto, I wanted to do something different rather than look at temples all day. One of my students recommended taking maiko and samurai pictures. A maiko is like a wanna-be geisha. They are much more decorated and probably what most Americans think of when they think of a geisha. I really wanted to do it. I wanted to see what I would look like as a maiko and Ron being the good sport that he is, joined me as well. The experience was excellent. It was strange to see the process. I got covered in white paint. I looked like a ghost. Then the make up as put on. I still can't get over how different I looked. And then they put the wig on me. Luckily, they used the front of my hair and weaved it into the wig so that it looked more natural. In the end, I was stunned. It didn't look like me at all. I was a little disappointed since I thought that I would look very beautiful and elegant. My first impression was that I looked like a clown. Even after choosing the beautiful kimono and taking the pictures with Ron (who looked very good in his kimono), I still did not feel very confident in the makeup. I guess I just don't think I look good with a lot of makeup. Even with regular makeup, too much overwhelms me. I think after this experience, I missed my face. After washing it all away, I was pleasantly welcomed by my original face. It's not the most beautiful thing, but in that time of playing dress-up and becoming a lady of traditional Japan, I really appreciated the face that I have and the comfort I felt by not wearing makeup. I do, however enjoy the souvenir pictures. It is a great memory of Japan.





No comments: