Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sand in Strange Places





Last weekend, Ron,a couple friends and myself went to Nishiwaga, which is a small onsen town. Our friend lives there and for $10 a month, he can go to over 50 onsen in the area. We made the two hour drive south to his place and took in the beautiful changing leaves. When we arrived we enjoyed a 30 minute hike in his backyard. There were steep and narrow hills only 100 meters from his house. Then later that night, we went to a sand onsen. Even being a California beach girl, I have never buried myself in sand. So it was really strange to put on their yukata and have little old women pouring hot sand over my body. The effects were quite nice. I lost a kilo. Unfortunately after we came home and made a huge curry dinner with lots of beer. Two kilos plus. It was a very enjoyable experience.



This is actually a foot onsen, where people take off their shoes and soak their feet. But the boys had just finished swimming in the river and this was the closest source of warmth. I wonder what is more dirty, onsen with feet or boys with river?

No comments: