Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Blind Mistake! Part II

The week following last at Mougakkou (School for the Blind).

There is a service for all the students and some teachers called "Teishoku", which is going to the students' dormitories and eating lunch there. For a well-prepared lunch for ¥300, I couldn't refuse. So today, I started eating lunch with the students. First, I had to wait with my supervisor teacher for the senior high students so we can walk them to the dormitories. I introduced myself to all the students that I haven't met and gave them some English practice. Then Junior high started to make their way out. There was one girl who seemed shy at first, but slowly made her way over to me. It was obvious that she was fully blind so I came up to her and offered my hand. She took both my hands and started to grip really tight.

No problem.

Then she started scratching my palms while she was holding my hand.

No big deal, I thought it was to feel the lines in my hands or something.

Then... too quickly, she lets go of my hands, grabs the bottom of my shirt, and tugged down...really hard. So hard it left my pink bra exposed in front of the students and my fully-seeing male supervisor.

I was later told that this student suffers from a disability where she can't control her movements of her feelings. I soon saw her in the cafeteria subdued by three teachers as she grabbed a handful of rice and started to shake the rice everywhere. Hopefully this was just a bad day for her. I couldn't imagine her going through this everyday. Needless to say, however shocking that experience was, it didn't feel that embarrasing. Maybe I'm getting used to embarrasing things happening to me at my school.

No comments: