Monday, May 12, 2008

Our Inner American

Bigger is better, right?

After getting our wonderful fabulous new house, we are confronted with the contorted faces of people who don't know why two people need so much space. No children, no family. But we slide it off because for us, it's necessary. For sanity and future fun, it's necessary.

Now, we are forced to give our car back to the owner with the ultimatum of buying the car from him or giving it back, thus being car-less. Now we are thinking of buying a new car. Since our Yamagata expedition, we've realized and enjoyed the perks of traveling road-trip style. The thought led us to a beautiful blue van, one that can easily hold 7 people and can transform into a beautiful bed. Perfect for sleeping in and enjoying a holiday. Now, with the idea of our too-big house and too-big car, I'm hit with the pangs of American greed. Living in the teeny sized nation of Japan, I feel like we've supersized our lives here. I think I'm thinking too much of other people's opinions, but to me, I've never had what I didn't need, so having so much makes me wonder not if we NEED it, but if we should have it. This is my own weird Juni-ness and Ron just smiles and insists that this is the greatest purchase in the world. By the way it will be $3,500 for everything, not bad. So now, it seems like we have to stay for the next two years, to really enjoy not only our new house, but our soon to be new car.

No comments: