Friday, March 21, 2008

Ron's New Job!


When coming to Japan as a foreigner, there is a vast number of potential jobs one can take: Teacher at an elementary school, teacher at a junior high school, teacher at a high school, teacher at a college, teacher at an English conversation school, or celebrity. So basically the only possible job is a teacher, unless you are very lucky. In Japan, a foreigner must have passed the second level of the Japanese competency test in order to work in the normal workforce. Level Two means fluent. Level One means fluent and able to read Japanese newspapers. We are currently around a level 3. There are 4 possible.

Surprisingly though, through a chance of fate, dedication, and random coincidence, Ron has managed to snag a job that gives him the greatest opportunity... He can finally learn Japanese.

Coming to Japan, both Ron and I had three goals: save money, travel Japan, and learn Japanese. Although Straight Talk was a wonderful place to work at with priceless memories, this new job puts Ron with people who only speak Japanese. Ron is now paid to have an eight-hour intensive Japanese lesson for five days a week.

So what is this new job? What place has Ron now commited to work at?

Ron now works for Morioka's senior center as a helper. Ron now cooks, cleans, and tends to the needs of Japan's aging community. His co-workers are kind and helpful and are fully commited to keeping these seniors happy and healthy. Ron has truly found a wonderful opportunity. He now works Mondays to Fridays from 9 to 5, a schedule that gives us plenty of time to be together, cook meals, run errands, take walks around the area, and sleep at a decent time. Ron now comes home and only speaks Japanese to me. He still isn't able to click off from Japanese to English. It gives him a headache. So I too benefit. After my work, I get an hour a day of my own intensive training.

This week has shown great promise for a real chance to learn Japanese. Ron and I have been struggling on our own to learn it, but with this job, I believe that we will make all three goals come true.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You've done it again! Desire is a power emotion...you proved that it can't be stopped! Congradulations Ron...Do your Japaneses thing. Have a great time as always...The Big Guy

Kunino said...

Welcome to real Japan! I can't wait to see you guys speaking level 2 Japanese! Have fun and good luck!!

Anonymous said...

congrats!! on-n-off of language was very difficult to me back in the states too. but once u are used to speaking another language, it wont bother u anymore, as i experienced.

i'm still in the hell (job hunting). i have interviews every single day. in addition, i have to write resumes a lot. HOWEVER, i dont know why i dont feel like i wanna go back to ucr. job hunting is worse than studying at ucr... I'M SICK OF ALL!!

anyways, i am looking forward to seeing u guys again (hopefully, as soon as my job things done)

최준 Charley Choe said...

My first comment in months! It's Easter sunday here, so I just wanted to wish you guys a belated(on your time)Happy Easter!

Oh and congrats on the Job. I'm hoping that Ron uses so much Japanese at work, he will only use English with us at the crest. Every so often he throws in a Japanese phrase that baffles me haha.

peggily said...

All I can say is: Kore wa empitsu desu.