Saturday, December 22, 2007

Such stupidity needs no title

Everyone has seen Transformers, right?

You know that one scene where Josh Duhamel (the yummy army guy) rides the motorcycle towards the Decepticons, purposely falls off the bike, and slides while shooting his gun directly at the robots. Well, besides sounding like a complete dork, I had my own similar episode; minus the robots, guns, or the coolness.

So I was on my way to Ron's work on my Saturday off. I decided to take my bike because it was a beautiful winter day. The snow was starting to melt after heavily snowing a couple days before. Usually people don't bike in the winter time. The ice can really mess up the friction with the bike and there is a big decrease in traction...

What does that mean?

So I started riding. As I rode, I saw a patch of ice that I thought I can quickly go through before any of the "scary ice" can supposedly get me. As I rode through it, I did the natural regaining my balance by moving my handle bars a teeny bit. No sooner had I moved it a millimeter, when my bike completely slipped from under me, which created a beautiful (for other people) and painful (for me) slide on the ice. I must have slid a good 5 feet. I got up the same way ice skaters get up after they fall from their triple luxe. Although sadly, my reason for falling wasn't as graceful. It felt very Matrix and very Mr. Bean at the same time. Needless to say, I have full understanding and respect for the scary ice.

Ouch for Christmas!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I'm sorry to say but that's an atch move...I was talking to you earlier thinking that you are going to bike to Ron's work at this time of the season BUT thinking that you know what you're doing and I should mind my own business decided to put brakes in all my motherly comments but at the back of my mind I'm thinking oh o, well I hope you're ok PLEASE be careful...I do worry you know... feel better...
mom

NYD said...

Ho Ho Ho.
Although I haven't seen the transformers I have seen many folks do what you did. And it cracked me up everytime.

Be careful out there. When I get back we can share some real horror stories about bicycling in winter.

Have a merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year.

Kunino said...

Ouch! And I've got similar biking-on-ice stories too, as I used to bike when in college in Yamanashi. It gets really cold there during winter. Oh, and watch out when you drive on frozen roads. Slipping sideways was pretty scary even on the backseat.

Anyway, wish you happy holidays!

Oren B. said...

Yeah!! Go with the matrix side! it's Cool!. haha, wow, I would probably also try going straight across the ice (no turning) and expect it to be okay... maybe. but wow, I, too, now have a greater respect for ice on the road when biking.... not that I will see any in California at my altitude, hehe. And.... "5 feet??? Juuuuniiiii.... you're in japan now!.... Embrace the metric system!!! Kudos for the "millimeter" though, hehe.

Oren

Anonymous said...

Have a merry Christmas!And a happy sweet New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meg and Jeff

charlene said...

merry christmas achi juni and ron! wishing you guys all the best this coming 2008. take care!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.