Sunday, December 9, 2007

Get in My Belly! Wanko Soba

Today with Ron's coworkers, we competed in a Wanko Soba Competition. Wanko Soba is a very famous thing in Morioka. It's basically an all you can eat with soba noodles. Women constantly feed you bite-sized bits of soba until you finally put a bowl over yours to show that you are finished. Ron was on the boys team of three and I was on the girls team of three. Each team member had two minutes to eat as much as they could. Altogether, Ron's group got 165 bowls and we ate 75 bowls. We didn't win any prizes because if you can believe it the winning team was able to eat 192 bowls.

There was also a 15 minute single contest. It was the most painful thing to watch. Almost as hard as watching Joey Chestnut eating hot dogs. One woman won the contest by eating 340 BOWLS! The next person after her only ate 219. It was amazing. She was a Hoover. So after the competition we left with semi-full bellies and happy hearts. These are one of those things that make you feel like a native.
Ahhhh, yet more evidence to show that we have good lives.

Here is a link to ron pretending to be a vacuum at the competition.

15 comments:

Kunino said...

hey guys! that looks so much fun! I wish I were there and help the girl team. Well, i don't think I could be of any help to beat the guys' team...maan, 90 more bowls to go. We should invite more girls to the girls team and make like a stronger girls' team of wanko soba in Morioka, or something. haha. Yeah, I hear you have good lives there by looking at these pictures and even over the phone!

Kunino said...

I mean, not "stronger" but "strongest" girl team in Morioka. :p

NYD said...

I had a real blast today! I can't believe that Mayumi is still hungry after this ordeal.

Can't wait until next year's contest.

Ron. You are one incredible eating machine!

최준 Charley Choe said...

Hey hey!!

I haven't commented in about 2 month it seems so I thought this would be fitting because it is about a EATING CONTEST!!!!

I wish I was there eating with you guys T_T. I just heard that morioka is known for there soba soooooo I guess I have to go there and taste it now =). Money is tight lately, but hopefully I will make it summer if not spring.

Unknown said...

Wow Ron just watching you for like 30 seconds eating all the sobas...well makes me want to puke!!!!Well that's my son-in-law a trooper!!!Proud of you boy:0 Atch!!! That's my girl!!!!
mom

Anonymous said...

I want totry next time!!!

Anonymous said...

It seems that I'm lagging behind everyone.. :( It seems that even though I would have loved to be the first one in line for soba, I'm probably the last one commenting. ;(

GOD damn IT!!! I missed yet another awesome event. DUDE! Next year... what if we team up?? I think You, Me, Choe-san, and Oren should be able to take "le Cup", don't you think?? hehe ;)

Anonymous said...

ha hawe should, but you know tht you have yo eat the soba like it is a vitamin...thats right you cant chew, just swallow.

Anonymous said...

Do you love your life as much as I love it?

Anonymous said...

Do you love your life as much as I love it?

Anonymous said...

Do you love your life as much as I love it?

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to use this computer thingy. Sorry for the 3 repeats. It wasn't intentional, but it looks pretty good. Gives it triple emphasis!!!

Kunino said...

Another great chance to get to eat soba is coming, guys! It's the New Year's Eve! Eat soba and live long, people!!

***Of course it's "live long 'like soba'", another Japanese custom to call or celebrate good luck, like eating the fish "Tai" when something medetai happens;-)

Oren B. said...

wowwwwww. That is awesome. I should do the Texan thing and participate in a Steak eating contest!! Then, I too will feel like a native! haha. Good job guys! So when is the next time you will have Soba noodles?? hahahaha. (Please answer that one because I'm really curious!).

Oren

Anonymous said...

Soba is easy to get. Just buy it at the store. It may be blasphemous but I like to eat it in a curry soup. Yum! As for wanko-ing, I think I'll wait a while. Ron on the other hand just can't wait.